Thursday, August 7, 2008

Back in Michigan: Day Six

I headed out on Wednesday to have a look at Creation Herbal Farm, from whom I recently placed an online order for some essentail oils, for a cola making project. I only realized that they're in Benzie County after their server crashed and I had to follow up on the order by phone. Anna Carter-Sangemino and Mike Hulbert began farming in North Carolina in the late 1970s, and nowadays are distilling essential oils from the herbs they grow organically on the outskirts of Frankfort. Here are a few shots of their operation:




I've also collected a ton of photos of Crystal Lake in the last couple days. Here's one of the cottage I spent my summers in growing up:

Some sailboats on the CSA beach (that aforementioned cottage, by the way, is right across the street from these boats):

A hot lifeguard chick on the doghouse (I probably shouldn't say that, she can't be even half my age):

Funky public art outside the Trick Dog Gallery in Elberta:

Here are a couple shots of the dress rehearsal for this year's operetta, The Music Man (most places they call it a musical, but we call it an operetta; I've never quite understood why that is):


And last but not... well, actually, last and least, the barnacle on the hull of the Crystal Lake Yacht Club, Mr. Stuart Soule:

Stuie's an old family friend, smart ass extraordinaire, and all around ne'er-do-well. He's the only person I know who's lived in Antarctica (he was stationed there in his Coast Guard days), and I'm pretty sure the climate must have caused him permanent brain damage...

No comments: