Saturday, April 28, 2007

Waffles, Benjamin...


...the future is in waffles! I headed up to NoPo today to check out Flavour Spot, my friend Jon's new waffle cart. Well, it's not really that new. Jon and his business partner Dave have been redefining the waffle now for about six months. Yes, this is the first time I've been there. Yes, I know, I'm a bad friend.

The waffles are served folded and wrapped in paper and foil, sort of sandwich style. The fillings are mostly sweet, although there is a ham and cheese waffle, and the maple-butter and sausage waffle is an interesting mix of salty and sweet (could there a bacon and caramel waffle somewhere down the road?). I took three home to sample: the aforementioned maple sausage, the nut fluffer and the "Black Forest." The nut fluffer is basically a wafflized fluffernutter, and to my mind the waffle is a much more appropriate vehicle for peanut butter and marshmallow creme than bread could ever hope to be. The BF combines nutella and raspberry jam. Tasty enough, but to be accurately called a Black Forest waffle, the raspberry jam needs to be replaced with cherries, preferably tart ones to play off the nutella's hazelnutty sweetness.

Good stuff. Check 'em out next time you're up on Lombard.

No comments: