Saturday, June 28, 2008

Multnomah County Bike Fair 2008!

Today's Multnomah County Bike Fair, which just happened to take place in Colonel Summers Park about a hundred yards down the street from my house, marked the beginning of the final day of this year's Pedalpalooza. Pedalpalooza is, of course, two incredible weeks of bike weirdness that happens every June here in Portland. It kicks off with the World Naked Bike Ride, which I attended, but didn't post about this year. And I apologize for that. At any rate, P-looza's almost over, and I managed to catch a good chunk of the festivities this afternoon. It all began with a performance from the Metal Shakespeare Company:

Naturally, this attracted Superman, who came to get his rawk on:

Next up was Portland's favorite all-girl mini-bike dance troupe the Sprockettes:

What could possibly follow that act but unicycle jousting:


And since I never posted about the naked ride, here's a video put up just after the event by Jonathan over at bikeportland.org. This year's ride exceeded last year's amazing turnout by at least a factor of three. Some estimates number this year's participants at 2,600! It was, needless to say, quite an event, and I even managed to rope a few of my friends into it this year. None of whom are in the video, near as I can tell, anyway. Enjoy:


Naked Bike Ride - Portland, OR from Jonathan Maus on Vimeo.

No comments: