Sunday, June 7, 2015

Food Cart Project Part XX: Roof, Lighting, and Plumbing Talk.

I started sheathing the ceiling/roof structure this weekend:


Once I got all of that sheathing in place, the interior of the cart suddenly became significantly darker...


...Which is nothing a couple of LED shop lights can't take care of:


I also started filling in the cracks around the window trim. I hadn't worked with wood filler for a number of years, so I was surprised to discover that it's now purple. It turns white once it's dry, though...


I also started working on the canopy that will be attached to the roof. This will be covered in corrugated metal, and will be slanted at about 3 degrees, high to low from front to back:


It's time to start thinking about getting the plumbing work underway, as well as start coordinating contractors for the electrical and exhaust hood work. I had a brief but very useful conversation with Rick Humphrey at Curtis Trailer on SE Powell. Rick's the go-to guy for food cart plumbing issues in Portland, and he gave me some great information about the sinks, pump and pipes/fittings I'll need for the cart. One thing I discovered in talking with Rick is that the Multnomah County Environmental Health department now requires ware sinks with a drain pan at either end, which means I'll need a sink significantly wider than the one I spec'ed in the plan review, and unless I can get grandfathered in, which is probably not likely, I'll have to tear apart two of my counters and rebuild them. It's the first real setback I've run into thus far, but it's a manageable one. Thankfully, I didn't rush out and buy that sink I'd spec'ed...

Here are two more of Austin's bonsai stands. The one on the left was fumed with high concentration ammonia, giving the mahogany in the middle a nice reddish tint. I'm amazed at the variety of styles Austin's able to work in. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of them...


So, lots done, very productive weekend. Keep checking in, things are really starting to come together!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coming along nicely, keep up the good work!

Macerating Shallots said...

Thanks!