Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Help Drown Junk Mail in the Bathtub!

My cousin sent me an e-mail about this ForestEthics campaign a few days ago, and while I was once at least tangentially involved in this sort of thing, a ban on "direct marketing," as they call it, is something that I can get behind entirely. Never mind the fact that junk mail is a pain in the ass, there are all kinds of other reasons to curb this irritating phenomenon. It encourages conspicuous consumption at a time when we really need to be working out ways to do more with less. It clogs our landfills. It's a drain on our already threatened forests. It's a foolish use of dwindling oil resources and contributes to global warming... need I go on? If you agree, then I would encourage you to sign their petition. If you're not sold on the idea, have a look at the website and get the facts for yourself.

No comments: